Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Last Stand of the Freaks?





"Last Freak Show" is a painstakingly perfect, spiral-bound hymn to freaks, circus performers, misfits, the deformed, and the extraordinary. Given to me as a gift by Tomoaki Hosoyama, a great Japanese filmmaker, and a truly great friend,
it moved me to tears of joy the moment I flipped it open.


The brilliant, evocative art, culled from the 19th and 20th centuries, depicts its subjects with passion and empathy.

I strongly urge anyone who appreciates these amazing human anomalies to track down and embrace this book. To engage with art that speaks to every fiber of your being is a rare and intoxicating experience.

To enter a fantastique world that fills one with with such wonder and emotion as this did me is rare.

3 comments:

  1. This is pretty cool. Thank you for showing.
    I'd love to see more of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missesgrim -- this is an extraordinary book. I have posted more, and will continue to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful, I'll check yor blog steady

    ReplyDelete