Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Melbourne's Golden Age of Hong Kong Movie Ads 2

John Woo's Once A Thief ('96) did three weeks at Melbourne's Chinatown Cinema.

I got into its more light-hearted tone, even though I prefer Woo's heavier pics like Bullet in the Head and Just Heroes.

Nonsensical sequel -- not that the original made a terrible lot of sense! Still, the original was far more erotic.

The excellent Queen of Temple Street ('90), a serious-minded look at prostitution in Hong Kong, did zero business in Melbourne.

Armor of God 2 - Operation Condor ('91) was notorious for going way over budget.

I walked out of the cinema extremely bored and disappointed. While overshooting and overspending, director Chan (Jackie) lost sight of plot, pacing, and logic. Even the action was a letdown.

Wong Kar Wai's second feature, Days of Being Wild ('90), bored me to tears. As Tears Go By ('88) was his first effort. I didn't like that, either.

Sibelle Hu and Moon Lee visited the Chinatown for the premier Melbourne screening of Bury Me High ('91), a very ambitious, inconsistent actioner. They were very friendly and eager to answer the craziest audience questions such as "What are your favorite stockings?" and (to Moon): "Do you have a boyfriend, and do you kick him during arguments?"

"I'm too busy for boys," was Moon's answer.

Shot by Peter Pau (A Fishy Story, The Killer, Bride of Chucky, The Bride With White Hair), the film is set in an imaginery country where Vietnamese is often spoken and seen.

Dreary sequel.

2 comments:

  1. Strangely enough, back in the days when I was a huge Jackie Chan fan, Armor of God 2 was my absolute favourite. I've seen it more times than any other Chan flick, and I actually don't remember any dull moments, except maybe the "slow fight" in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I was all Jackie-ed out by the time OPERATION CONDOR rolled around.

    The pacing problem for me was more about unevenness. The humor didn't sit with me, either. I'm probably quite alone with my thoughts on this.

    My favorite Jackie is still DRUNKENMASTER 2, then PROJECT A 1, POLICE STORY 1, CRIME STORY, ARMOR OF GOD, and MR CANTON AND LADY ROSE.

    ReplyDelete