Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Fanatical for Paperbacks

 
Justin Marriot's The Paperback Fanatic went digest size a couple of issues ago and has not looked back. For the serious paperback lover, for the lifelong devotee of all that is pulp, this is Shangri-La!


This sixty-six page issue, in full, glorious color, has an amazing piece on arguably the most groundbreaking Science Fiction magazine ever published in Britain, New Worlds. Although it is best known for the period in which it was edited by Michael Moorcock, it began life in 1946 and championed the work of Brian Aldiss, Thomas Disch, Christopher Priest, JG Ballard, Norman Spinrad, and John Sladek.

Also of immense interest in this issue is a lofty item on publisher Fawcett Crest, a sharp U.S. outfit that released works from Gary Brandner (The Howling I,II,III), John Farris (All Heads Turn as the Hunt Goes By), Robert Bloch (Psycho), and Robert Arthur Smith (The Toymaker).  

The spread below is a typical example of the lavish treatment afforded the nostalgia on display in this exceptional periodical.


 Topping off a full house is a lengthy feature on the men's adventure series Nick Carter and an affectionate, mind-blowing look at the work of blacksploitation novelist Joseph Nazel, whose work included Black Gestapo, Black Exorcist, Killer Cop, Devil Doll, Slick Revenge, and No Place to Die.

The Paperback Fanatic is a labor of love, and most back issues have sold out. If you're up for having your literary world expanded, or your memories massaged, this is your ticket.

13 comments:

  1. That Fawcett Horror checklist is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will -- It sure is. Gives me a couple of extra books to hunt down, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jervaise brooke hamsterFebruary 1, 2011 at 1:28 PM

    Phantom, you once described the internet as "a tsunami of information" so i dont really see the point of buying magazines, books or even DVD`s anymore. Everything is now available on the internet so why bother with those ludicrously out-moded forms of information anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jervaise brooke hamsterFebruary 1, 2011 at 4:09 PM

    Phantom, did you see what they done over at Soiled Sinema?, its fantastic. A Heather O`Rourke tribute just for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. jervaise brooke hamsterFebruary 2, 2011 at 5:32 AM

    Phantom, i told Ty E and mAQ to take another one of their famous 6 month sabaticals from film reveiwing, then Heather will always be the first thing that people will see during that period for anyone visiting the site, TOTAL PERFECTION !!!, i wonder if they will follow my advice?.

    ReplyDelete
  6. jervaise brooke hamsterFebruary 2, 2011 at 9:18 AM

    Phantom, you know the com-girl-t that you left over on Soiled Sinema's reveiw of Rolling Thunder, well why didn`t you say anything about the hilarious com-girl-t that i left there?.

    ReplyDelete
  7. jervaise brooke hamsterFebruary 2, 2011 at 5:01 PM

    Phantom, those bastards deleted their tribute to Heather, what do think about that. I tried setting up my own blog today but its gonna` be difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really enjoying these book and magazine related posts. Keep up the good work.

    On a related note, what do you think of Graham Masterton's work? Only read a handful of his novels back in the day but a few - NIGHT WARRIORS, THE MIRROR - made a big impression on me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Schlockmaniac #1 -- I like Masterton's work. I've always been enamored with CHARNEL HOUSE and PLAGUE, one of his more obscure works. I like both titles you mentioned, too.

    ***

    jbh -- do it for Heather, son!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, Mr. Masterton. I'm a newbie; just read THE MANITOU last month & *loved* it so now I'm on the lookout for his other horror novels. Don't know exactly why I'd never read him before, but I'm finding he's got loads of rabid fans and dozens of books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. jervaise brooke hamsterFebruary 3, 2011 at 8:24 AM

    I`ll try my old mate, i`ll try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Will - I asked Mark about his thoughts on Masterton because your Masterton articles at TMHF put me in a nostalgic frame of mind. They even inspired me to go out and track down copies of THE MANITOU and REVENGE OF THE MANITOU!

    I regularly read your blog and enjoy it so please keep up the great work - and if you've got any further Masterton-related pieces in the works, I can't wait to read them.

    FYI, I hear that IKON is a really fun Masterton title (never read it myself).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Regarding Graham Masterson, I just went thorugh old jottings on books I've read of his. The most positive comments are for: Charnel House, The Manitou, The Devils of D-Day, Plague, The House That Jack Built, Prey, A Mile Before morning, The Devil in Grey, and The Djinn.

    ReplyDelete