Monday, October 24, 2011

Get the ZOMBIE Blu-ray or Die, Fucker!

 Fuck!!!

I don't know why, but the idea of Dr. Menard (Richard Johnson) being interviewed at the Cinema Wasteland convention for the Zombie Blu-ray got my engines whirring this afternoon. It was like fantasy becoming reality.

 The man who immortalized "The boat can leave now, tell the crew," is interviewed on this superb disk.

Al Cliver, too. He's also interviewed.

Does it get any better?

Hell, yeah!

Guillermo del Torro goes nuts over Zombie!... and shows us he's a big fan of on-screen nudity, too. Kudos to him for his honesty and passion.

Cinematographer Sergio Salvatti speaks, and he gives us a true sense of the love he brought to this movie. That love imbues every frame! Behold the new transfer. Finally, we can appreciate Salvatti's fine work. 


The writers reminisce, too. Dardano Sacchetti, in particular, discusses the script at great length, and demonstrates his affection for Fulci.



Even producer Fabrizio De Angelis shows up for a great interview. Keep in mind that this bloke produced Violent Naples, The Beyond, Zombie Holocaust, The New York Ripper, and The House by the Cemetery, to name just a few. He gets plenty of respect from me.


This new Blu-Ray from Blue Underground, with stellar technical production work from Red Shirt Pictures (great audio and lighting on the interviews, boys!) is a fucking goddamn revelation

It gathers the creme de la creme of the folks who brought this classic to the big screen, and asks them all the right questions -- even Fabio Frizzi, who composed a theme that I've hummed and whistled and played in my car more than anything else I can remember.

 So what's the transfer like?

Incredible. The wooden shard in the eye has never looked better or more beautiful.


The fat zombie's first appearance on the boat has never looked this awesome, or been quite this impactful.

Salvatti's night cinematography of the zombies shambling down the center of the village has never been more atmospheric or richer.


It's like a Haitian nightmare springing to life with its toasty golden sheen and swirling, dancing fog.

The rotting bastards feasting on the innards of Olga Karlatos has never been redder, more garish, and clearer.

The ripping of flesh, the throwing of zombies at the church doors, the zoom in to the bloody ear of the shambling dead man... these sequences have never looked so brilliant... or felt so damn right.

Zombie did not look this good at the drive-in. Not through a dirty windscreen, anyway.

What about the shark? What about about the shark???!!! WHAT ABOUT THE FUCKING SHARK???!!!

It's absolutely incredible. The images of Mexican stuntie Ramon Bravo wrestling that shark and taking a bite out of him have never looked more pristine, more dangerous, and  more surreal. Bravo, Fulci, you nailed it, son!


And that teeny weeny bikini of Auretta Gay is even sexier on Blu-ray, and you just wish you could rip the damn thing off and start feasting on what it almost fails to contain (Zombie-style, of course, without the teeth!).

Unfortunately, the Blu-ray won't help you to do that, but you can sure enjoy this horror classic on Blu-Ray like you've never enjoyed it before... or not since you saw it on its first run at a hardtop or a drive-in.

If you don 't buy the Zombie Blu-ray, you might as well kill yourself... because life without the Zombie Blu-ray is just eating, shitting, and dying.

14 comments:

  1. Excellent. A favorite of mine for years. Love the conquistadors rising from their graves in the daylight. I've still got the 2-disc DVD set though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will -- yes, Will, the3 conquistador sequence is gold. I have the 2-disk dvd, too, but this is a most worthwhile upgrade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jervaise brooke hamsterOctober 24, 2011 at 6:39 PM

    I dont think much of Blu-Ray, my old VHS player still gives a better picture on my old CRT TV ! ! ! (in my humble opinion obviously).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, looks like I'm gonna have to buy this movie AGAIN! I bought it on DVD originally, then bought it again when a better version came out... and I'm not really on the Blu-Ray bandwagon, because I've usually found 'em to be way overrated... but I keep hearing about the transfer on this one, so I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and, yes, TRIPLE-DIP! Yoiks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to get hold of this, how is the audio on the film?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zwolf -- I've bought the Ozzie VHS when it was ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS (cut!), the US Wizard VHS (uncut), the LD, the BU DVD, the Media Blasters DVD, and now this. It's a sickening addiction, but, like most addictions, it has an upside.

    ***

    Hero -- audio is a great improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll buy it again, and I'll buy it when it comes out on 4D holographic cube that transmits the movie straight into your mind. What else are you gonna spend your money on? Shelter? Sustenance? Fuck that, not nearly as satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. jervaise brooke hamsterOctober 26, 2011 at 10:07 AM

    d, by the time the 4D holographic cube comes out there will be something much better for you to spend your money on, namely: 11 year-old Heather O`Rourke lookalike prostitutes legally available on every street corner, remember 20 years from now "THE TIME OF SEXUAL REPRESSION" will be over, and when it is over the world will suddenly become totally and utterly perfect ! ! !.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, hamster. Good to see you're finally talking some sense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. jervaise brooke hamsterNovember 2, 2011 at 10:36 AM

    Cheers my old mate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So I may look at the film still best on VHS. This is the right feeling for me. The film is one of the classics of Fulci and I could not look him at all at DVD never mind at BluRay,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amen to that. And fuck yeah for picking that awesome "crab across the screen" framegrab which is one of my fucking favourite moments of all time. I'm kinda convinced that it's Sergio Salvati paying homage to his old mentor Tonino Delli Colli as he assisted him on The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, which features an almost similar shot...

    J.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why doesn't netflix ever have this kind of stuff? zombie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cinezilla -- yes, that crab shot in sublime. I also love the camera zooming into the bloody ear of the shambling zombie on the street. Yes, I know the shot in The Good,The Bad... probably is a hommage.

    Shirt -- Netflix doesn't have this? I don't do Netflix, but that surprises me.

    Mr. Banane -- I understand your reasoning. I still have my original VHS.

    ReplyDelete