Saturday, October 6, 2012

The Fuckness of Andersen Prunty

Fuckness, from Andersen Prunty, is one gloriously messed-up tale of brutality and alienation. It focuses on Wallace Black, a school bully's punching bag, and it details how Wallace gets his own back on his victimizer and attempts to avoid further trouble and misery.

'fuckness', according to the author, is a term he uses to describe the absurdity of life, the collective shit that surrounds us and complicates everything.

As in Prunty's also excellent Zerostrata, Fuckness blends harsh reality with dogged fantasy. Reading it, I was carried back to the first time I read Iain Banks' The Wasp Factory. I got that same sense of horrible but strangely familiar unease. Sometimes, if life is shitty, you want it to get shittier so it'll finally hit rock bottom. Then you'll have something to stand on when you begin that climb back up again.

I get that. Prunty gets it, of course. I think you'll get it, too.


 



1 comment:

  1. Wow--a WASP FACTORY comparison! That's quite a recommendation. Right now I've got both ZEROSTRATA and FUCKNESS on my to-be-read list. Clearly I'll have to move them up!

    ReplyDelete