Sunday, November 10, 2013

Last Post? Perhaps


I started this blog to share my passions -- meaning, my precious collection of books, ad mats (since '68), and movie art.

The BARON BLOOD drive-in ad mat is, for me, a symbol of a time that has sadly passed. Now, movies like it have been somewhat devalued, reduced to files "aggregated" on a massive on-line archive. There's no scarcity any more, so no value. There's some hope afoot, but the hope requires a shot of reality.

Are blogs going the same way? In the early days, most of my posts provoked a healthy torrent of comments from a loyal, informed readership. Now, the comments are few.

What's changed? Does nobody want to comment, or has commenting become tiresome? Worse, have blogs like this had their day?



Without readers, there's not much point in me posting. I'd be the tree falling in the forest that nobody can hear.

I've always enjoyed the dialog posts create, although it's always been hard to gauge what people really want most.


According to the stats each blog owner can access, the most popular post EVER here was the one I did on 'Brian Peppers'. It easily outscores all the others. The writing accompanying it focused on alienation, on being different, on hypocrisy.

At least it's a thoughtful post that got the traction.


I fully realize that we're all travelers through the paradox called Life, and events of and not of our own undoing shift priorities and realign focus.

Traffic here is no different.


I'm grateful for the support this blog has had for its five year life span.

I've made some good friends and enjoyed rich conversations about the things we love.

Personally, I've been going through some very trying times myself lately, and I sense major changes afoot. When one door closes, another opens. It's a cliche, but it's rooted in truth.

As I get older, I become less tolerant of games and bullshit, and I seek refuge in the bosom of common sense, honesty, and decency.

I'm grateful for the good.

I'm done with the bad.

Life's too short to indulge the toxins.

And the sun's too bright to ignore.

5 comments:

  1. Well I for one am glad this didn't turn out to be the last post. Because seriously: I - and others too I'm sure - enjoy most of the stuff you post here a great deal, and appreciate the effort you put into it. If I've fallen behind in my reading and not left comments, that's probably just because I don't have much blog reading/writing time myself these days, and often don't have much pertinent info to add comments-wise, except variations on "gee, that's interesting."

    I don't think weblogs will die as long as people still have the focus and enthusiasm to create decent content for them, which you certainly do - good stuff attracts good audiences, even if it takes a while and they're often invisible as far as stats and feedback are concerned...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben -- thank you. I'm encouraged by the feedback to this post via this forum and Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also tired of games and bullshit, which seems like most of the internet and by extension people in general. I respect if you wanna call it quits--because frankly, posts from hamster wouldn't exactly rouse me either, but your blog could remain an outpost in a wasteland of dogshit and I'd respect that too. Either way, you've put some good stuff out there and got people talking and you should be glad for that.

    As for your "massive on-line archive" comment, I agree. It's an unnavigable void that first seemed like a treasure trove, but I personally am burnt out on it. There's no effort required and the reward is severely lessened. It was much more satisfying for me finding out what like minds found interesting and scouring for it as opposed to hoovering everything available and being mostly disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got to say that I relate to this post quite a bit. Your blog is a recent discovery for me and I find the old-school movie adverts and things you post fun to browse through.

    I've gone through the same thought process with my own blog. It grows frustrating to write these really thought-out pieces on films and receive no comments -- and then, you post something frivolous and it gets a response. You grow tired of crafting your pieces and posting them to dead silence, essentially. Particularly when you look at your blog stats and you see that people are looking at the damn things.

    Yeah. I get it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. d -- great point about the hoovering of media, and I'm encouraged that you understand the dilemma. It's not some life-changing dilemma, of course, on any serious level, but, in its own way, it's a shift that I'm not sure I want to get used to.

    ***

    Scott -- glad you enjoy the adverts from my scrapbooks.

    I prefer comments to just views because comments trigger a dialog. I started this blog to share and generate passions for fresh discoveries.

    Clearly, I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete