Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Nicholas Winding Refn's Drive


I'm looking very forward to seeing Nicholas Winding Refn's first American picture, Drive, with Ryan Gosling.

My enthusiasm has swollen even further after watching the trailer, and noticing a key musical piece from Riz Ortolani's score for Goodbye Uncle Tom -- the 'Oh My Love' instrumental --  in the trailer. That's an inspired decision, and bodes well for the sensibility behind the film's marketing.


 The distributor is Film District, and good on 'em for going with an unconventional trailer that doesn't look or feel like the usual generic garbage that most studio trailers have become.



Refn previously made the stunning Pusher Trilogy, Bronson, Fear X, and Bleeder.


This poster art is less than compelling, and I hope it's not going to be used widely. Graphically, it's too cluttered and indefinite. It might please revheads, but it doesn't leave the viewer with an impression of anything. On top of that, it will not shrink down successfully. It will simply become nondescript.

Please lose this poster, Film District, because I want Drive to succeed.

The excellent trailer is here:

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2772212761/


5 comments:

  1. Completely agree the trailer is very different to the recent norm and it feels really fresh. I'm unbelievably excited to see the film now. Have you seen Valhalla Rising?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hero -- I liked the majority of VALHALLA RISING, but I felt unsatisfied with the resolution. Still, a very worthwhile entry. Your view?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dying to see this. Love Bronson and the Pusher trilogy to the point of obsession. Fascinated to see what he does with Logan's Run...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found the first 15-20 minutes hard going but once into the rhythm of the film I loved it. I thought it had a unique other worldly feel and atmosphere, but I agree it felt like they weren't quite sure where to go at the end. I'd definitely give it another watch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hero -- sounds like we concur on VALHALLA. I respect Refn because he's not a slavish imitator. He has a unique world view that he conveys in strong cinematic language.

    ***

    Aylmer -- I also feel strongly about the PUSHERS and BRONSON. LOGAN'S RUN remake I'm less interested in, but will see it when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete