Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Ad Mats Not Seen Recently


I love that this '72 line-up from the Hoyts chain is described as "Holiday Films For All The Family".

How far we've fallen in forty years!

Can you imagine families today finding something of interest amongst this lot? No toy-inspired banality? Nothing from Disney? If only families today would attend films like Trinity Is Still My Name, Pulp, or Richard Brooks' '66  The Professionals, clearly getting a re-release here.

I somehow convinced my late dad to take me to see Pulp and The Mechanic on the same day. That was unheard of. Perhaps dad wanted some time away from mum.  I remember enjoying both immensely, and I recall dad speaking about Bronson in a reverential tone.



'72 sure was a good year for the cinema... and the drive-ins.

Hard to believe that Peter Medak's wonderful black comedy played at drive-ins in Melbourne.

It took some balls, but I convinced my mother to take me to see the film on a school night. We even stayed  for Baby Love, my first exposure to the delicious Linda Hayden.

In retrospect, it was Ken Loach with breasts and lesbians.

During the scenes that featured some mild nudity, my mother kept repeating "I don't think we need to see this" while playing with the car keys. I differed on her statement, and was sure I needed to see what I was seeing.

Fortunately, we remained until the climax.

I'd see Hayden a couple of years later when Satan's Skin (aka Blood on Satan's Claw) screened on TV. I recorded it on audio tape and listened often to the great score.
 

I never caught this one at the East End Two, but I always remember my parents coming home late after seeing it and me asking them what it was about.

My mum's answer: "It was a bit stupid really."

My dad's: "It was alright. Lots to see."

Indeed.

At least there was one Pasolini fan in the house.

4 comments:

  1. Cool post Phantom!
    Family trips to the drive-in was a regular event when I was a kid in the late 70's. I remember the multi-plex just on the edge of town had three screens. We'd be set up watching the family feature and I'd steal quick glances over my shoulder out the back window to one of those other screens where the skin was. Couldn't hear the sound but didn't need to :-) Of course my mom caught on to that pretty quick!

    "How far we've fallen in forty years!"

    You said it there for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jervaise brooke hamsterOctober 5, 2012 at 3:05 AM

    The title of that film with Peter O`Toole and Sophia Loren shoud`ve been changed to "Girl of la Girl-cha" ! ! !.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jervaise brooke hamsterOctober 5, 2012 at 8:15 AM

    Are you saying it was a TRIPLE feature with the Britt Ekland movie as well ?, thats around five and-a-half hours of entertain-girl-t for two shillings, superb value even in 1972 ! ! !.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jervaise brooke hamsterOctober 5, 2012 at 12:17 PM

    Phantom, I also left some very important com-girl-ts here with regards to certain gorgeous sexy actresses that i desperately would have loved to have buggered when they were 18, why weren`t those com-girl-ts published ?.

    ReplyDelete