Friday, April 22, 2011

Hanna


 It's in cinemas right now, but it's not getting too much notice. I saw it and liked it a lot. It's Hanna, directed by Joe Wright.

It borrows elements (consciously or unconsciously) from Run Lola Run and Le Femme Nikita, so it feels very European.  It also feels like a Hong Kong film shot outside Hong Kong. Fans will know what I mean. It has an intensity and coldness to it that separates it from its brethren. Its quieter moments reminded me of the recent The American.



Saoirse Ronan, a seventeen-year-old, who was probably just sweet sixteen when she starred in this, is fuckin' amazing as a mysterious girl who is trained to kill (by Eric Bana) for an inevitable confrontation in her future.

 The film begins pretty much when that future arrives.



This things moves like a bullet, but never feels superficial or rushed. The score by The Chemical Brothers represents a truly fresh choice on director Wright's part. Although some (only some) of the editing was a little too MTV for me, the experience of watching this was extremely immersive.

If there were any false notes in this, I'd have to say Cate Blanchett. Her performance as Hanna's primary enemy is strangely impenetrable and one-note. 

I love art that is not overly precious about portraying children as innocent cherubs. In reality, children, like adults, can be angels and monsters. They possess an arsenal of personality traits, and are much more capable than adults care to acknowledge. They mightn't foresee the many consequences of their actions, but they also don't overinflate them. A benefit of inexperience mixed with fearlessness. Those qualities endear us to 'Hanna'.



I reckon if this were a foreign language flick, critics and international audiences would be all over it.

See this in a cinema before it closes so it can bleed and writhe all over you.

13 comments:

  1. I saw the trailer to this in our local cinema and liked the look of it( not out here yet). Thank you for the review, it has encouraged me to go and see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loopy2 -- I hope you enjoy it, Loopy2. Thanks for stopping by. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I like run Lola run, and the American, but I just can't seem to get any enthusiasm for this movie. I think what it is is that I'm former military and currently work in law enforcement. So the whole seventeen year old girl-slash-secret agent killer thing just seems kind of flat to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jarheadxbox -- well, she's not a secret agent, but, no doubt about it, style trumps realism in this pic. If I want realism in "entertainment", I'll watch THE FIRST 48 or RESTREPO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very amazing stuff here. Don't know if we have a lot in common but that's all right. We all have to do our own thing. Please drop by my New Prairie Woman blog site to say hello, make a comment and follow if you can.

    newprairiewoman.blogspot.com

    Best to you,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen the trailer for this online but it's not at my local cinema, I doubt it will even come here. I'll have to keep my eyes open and wait for a dvd release.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, I thought this movie was pretty much incredible. Not exactly what I expected, but it was certainly enjoyable. Thanks for sharing Phantom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks great---I saw the trailer a few months back....I think during Black Swan and The Fighter I believe. I'm glad you reviewed this---perfect Easter Sunday flick to catch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I just did a blog about Restrepo. One of my favorite movies of all time. Well, if you say its good, I might check it out, probably not in theaters, but in some other venue. I do like action movies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey thanks for the review. And congrats on being the blog of note!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked this too, it was a pretty twisted and fun little movie. Pretty daring. With its virginal yet ass kicking female protagonist and slightly subversive elements it reminded me of a Japanese film almost. Miss Ronan, with those absolutely beautiful blue eyes of hers, shines like a spotlight in this. That girl is going places. HANNA is basically a modern day fairy tale filtered through the aesthetics of a spy flick, Cate Blanchett is very much a contemporary equivalent of Snow White's Evil Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Review! Hanna was a lot of fun! One of the better movies of 2011.

    ReplyDelete