Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Touch of the Ed Woods

I like J. Piquer Simon's Pieces and I like this for very different reasons. It is rather poorly made, but there is something about the director's work that touches something in me.

Have you seen his Slugs, the film based on the Shaun Hutson novel? I like that. He ought to take a crack at Breeding Ground, Hutson's sequel.


 I confess to not liking Mr. Simon's The Pod People, a truly confused and juvenile mess, but I love the title.

That JP Simon has got a touch of the 'Ed Woods' about him. That's not a bad thing, is it?!

7 comments:

  1. jervaise brooke hamsterJanuary 21, 2011 at 4:08 AM

    Phantom, you know those scenes in "Plan 9 From Outer Space" where hub-caps are supposed to be flying saucers, well, theres more imagination, entertain-girl-t value and pure cinematic magic in those scenes by themselves than everything that has ever been produced by the (so-called) British film industry put together over the last 122 years since the invention of the cinematograph circa 1889, just think about that for a mo-girl-t and hopefully it will ensure that you never waste your time watching or reveiwing anymore British made garbage on this site ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous -- This was news to me that he died. Of lung cancer! I really treasured his work. I must say I didn't appreciate Mystery Science Theater doing a number on POD PEOPLE. I don't like the format of these things or the intention behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jbh -- agree totally with your comments on Mr. Wood. Can't say I won't be reviewing "British made garbage" in future, though, dear fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jervaise brooke hamsterJanuary 21, 2011 at 4:28 PM

    Phantom, on this same subject, have you read the hilarious com-girl-t that i left over on Soiled Sinema's reveiw of "Accident"?, its a scream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen that Slugs poster before. Amazing. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  6. d -- yes, that SLUGS poster is a work of art.

    ReplyDelete