Friday, August 28, 2009

Fashion Doll Quarterly

If you're a doll devotee, you can not live without FDQ (Fashion Doll Quarterly), a magazine dedicated to the grace, sensuality, and extraordinary charisma of those born of plastic (and other birthing materials).

Each issue is swollen with stunning imagery and incredible creations.

The ethereal beauty above is the creative spawn of Lyn Raftis.

"I'm all about the lips," says Raftis in the Autumn 2009 issue. "Color should look like it's coming from the skin, not applied to the skin." She adds: "I want skin markings to look like real moles and freckles on real skin, not like spots of paint on resin."

This ad for Angelic Dreamz, a frequent port of call for me, is mesmirizing.

Some of the most polished doll photography is found within the pages of this magazine.

With her visible ball-joints, this brilliant creation is a delicious take on the Frankenstein legend, and possesses a strange vulnerability.

Photograph is by Mercy Neumark.

Naturally, the cover girls of the 'Vintage' issue are classic Barbie dolls; Barbie celebrates her fiftieth issue this year (and she doesn't look a day older than...)

Some of the stunning work of Alexandra Forbes to be found in this issue.

For me, dolls never lose their power and magic.

7 comments:

  1. Do you fall in love with these dolls?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon -- it's fascination and appreciation. "Love" is a four letter word, so no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dolls are admittedly a little bit creepy.
    check out my horror movie blog for the latest horror news and the occasional creepy treasure!
    http://atomicfox.blogspot.com/
    thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ATOMICF -- yes, they are creepy, but they're so much more. And that's why I like them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. jervaise brooke hamsterAugust 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM

    Why couldn`t you have shown pictures of the dolls without their clothes on, they are all such gorgeous little darlin`s, i`d like to bugger them all senseless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My ex-wife was into Barbie collecting and used to buy many doll magazines. I have to say I loved reading through them just for the tantalizing glimpses at high end fashion dolls. There is something very Pygmalion about doll collecting and I got the bug myself for awhile. I still hold onto a Pirate Barbie I found at target. It sits proudly on my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. jervaise -- they have no sense in the first place.

    ***

    Shon -- doll collecting is Pygmalion-like, I guess. Nice way to put it. I have Pirate Barbie, too. I mourn the loss of the large dolls Rite Aid used to sell. I bought every model. They are very strange.

    ReplyDelete