Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Two Truly Beautiful Ladies

I came across this very striking image of Marisa Tomei today. It's an ad for a series of fitness DVD's.

To me, Maria truly is a beautiful woman. And a fascinating one. Both physically and intellectually. Her beauty is radiant, and there's something so intense going on behind those dazzling eyes.

To be honest, most women who are considered "beautiful" by the media leave me cold. For the most part, they're boring. There is nothing to them but some fortunate genetic inheritance. Most are ultra-conservative, and if they're not, they're just bimbos.

Not so Marisa Tomei. I can't look at the shot above without wanting to get to know her. Like most women, she's probably a hormonal catastrophe (sorry, Marisa!), but even that doesn't lessen my enthusiasm for the special magic she conveys.

The lady's intelligence is borne out in her career choices. She blew me away in Sidney Lumet's Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, an amazing movie with half a dozen dazzling performances. Marisa is not afraid to show her body; that, in itself, communicates a restless passion, and a desire to explore life's twisting avenues.

In Factotum, the Charles Bukowski pic, she nailed the part of Laura, a sexy bourgeios who introduced the career drunk (and writer of massive talent) to another side of the world. She failed to convert him, but she made a heavy impression doing it.

As a film director direct myself, it would be an honor to work with Marisa one day. I'll need to find her a role worthy of her complex talents, of course.

While on the subject of beautiful, fascinating, complex women, I can't ignore Maria Bello, another mighty fine actress who has smoked up the screen in Payback, The Cooler, A History of Violence, and Thank You For Not Smoking, to name a select, excellent few.

Again, I can't look at her without being hopelessly drawn inside. An actor can't work at being fascinating. You are or you aren't. Bello most definitely is.

She's made some excellent career choices, and, like Marisa, has not been afraid to disrobe. Both women have a European attitude to nudity and sexuality, and have expanded their repertoires as a result.

This is a disarming intellect, a woman who is comfortable being a woman, and understands that the best actors take off not just the clothes that cover their bodies, but the finery that fogs their emotions.

6 comments:

  1. Yr choices are spot on. I am going to have to fight you for Maria, tho.

    'hormonal catastrophe!' Well, i am certain this is a LOL free zone, so I will have to come up with another symbol to indicate my hearty joy at that one.

    Or I could just let it be.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mandingo -- I'm sure Marisa has triggered a fight or two in the past.

    "hormonal catastrophe" -- feel free to not let it be, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. August SchellenbergApril 14, 2010 at 3:03 PM

    I actually think Marisa Tomei`s best film is "UNTAMED HEART" (1993), she was 27 at the time of filming and she looked so incredible back then. Its also a very charming and "HEART-rending" movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. August -- don't disagree that this is a great movie, and Marisa did look incredible. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Hormonal catastrophe?" Are you sure it isn't just you?

    My son's best friend played Marisa Tomei's son in THE WRESTLER. He told me Marisa didn't speak to him outside of saying her lines. Not once. (Mickey Rourke, on the other hand, was lovely.)

    So, intelligent- maybe, but warm? Not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two great choices. I feel the same way about "Hollywood beauty," it leaves me usually cool, but Marisa and Maria are truly loverly.

    ReplyDelete