Thursday, March 22, 2012

Boy Wonder

This film surprised me a lot.

Pissed me off, too.

Why isn't actor Caleb Steinmeyer getting more offers?

Why is this 2010 film virtually unknown?

Yes, I'm pissed off that it's gotten very little publicity and has almost zero awareness.

This is a dark, dark, moody, stunningly shot (low budget) thriller about a young man in pain (Steinmeyer) who's searching for the killer of his mother.

What he finds, how it plays out, is not something I'm going to reveal because it's surprising and disturbing and extremely well handled by freshman director Michael Morrissey.

And for the first time in a long time, a writer/director has created a teenage character who isn't obnoxious, cliched, irritating, or smarmy; Steinmeyer's  'Sean Donovan' is a kid you give a shit about, and you get the sense that he'd give a shit about you if you approached him as a human being, not a douche.    

The film has Death Wish vigilante elements, but it has depth and detail that most variations on this subject lack. The violence is hard and brutal, the sound design is imaginative, and all the performances (including a turn from the always-stellar James Russo) are top notch.

Seek this out, and then come back and tell me how you feel about it.

I walked away from this feeling cinematically revived. That doesn't happen often. 

All art is by the talented Nick Runge.

8 comments:

  1. jervaise brooke hamsterMarch 22, 2012 at 2:09 PM

    Phantom, you know how Humphrey and Ingrid will "ALWAYS HAVE PARIS", well me and Heather will "ALWAYS HAVE POLTERGEIST III", its kismet ! ! !.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, no shit. A guy I see at the gym asked me if I've seen this. I told him No and told him that I'll put it in the ole queue, but of course I was lying through my goddamn teeth. This guy is a self-proclaimed movie buff (they never are when they say that) who's skin color is dull orange from all the tanning he does. It's very easy to judge him and not feel bad about it. Lots of other reasons why he shouldn't be trustworthy in the movie department. But anyways, I'm shocked to see you talking about this. I can't believe I'm actually going to watch this fucking movie. Haha...thanks a lot, Phantom. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of vigilante flicks so I'll be sure to check this one out

    ReplyDelete
  4. jervaise brooke hamsterMarch 23, 2012 at 10:17 AM

    Phantom, somebody finally had the good sense (and common courtesy) to download "CONFLICT" (1943) on YouTube, i genuinely believe it to be Humphrey Bogarts best film (thats right, i said his BEST film), perhaps you could watch it and tell me w-HEATHER you agree ! ?. By the way, Rose Hobart and Alexis Smith were both hot chicks back in those days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I walked past this one on the video club thinking nothing of it, basically because as you mention, pretty much nothing is known about it, but if it comes highly recommended by you Phantom, then I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diary -- I hope you enjoy it. I know I did.

    ***

    Unknown -- this is a vigilante flick with a real difference.

    ***

    jervaise -- stick to the topic please, son. Yes, CONFLICT is a damn good film. No argument from me on that.

    ***

    Film Connoisseur -- thanks for reading and deciding to take a shot. I don't think you'll be disappointed. The film has an excellent ending, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Watched BOY WONDER this afternoon. I'm totally with you on this. A lowkey indie that (unlike too many indie films) is neither pretentious or slow moving. It holds your attention with smart direction, acting, writing, and absolutely no excess or indulgence. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saw it on Netflix tonight. Way better than anticipated. People need to see this movie. The ending is what indie movies are all about. Nobody in Hollywood would have the balls to touch that ending. Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete